Metalcloak Instruction Downloads & Support - Just Choose Your Rig Below
Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MetalCloak
Reply with quote  #1 
Please click the link below to view instructions (.pdf) referenced in the title of this thread.

Please assist us in our commitment to continuously improve our installation instructions. If you think information is missing, have advice to share with others, or have clearer pictures/illustrations please post them to this thread. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Only One Rule...Please Be Cool.

If you notice a post that has been deleted, we likely implemented the idea into our published instructions.

Questions about your installation?
Please email [email protected] or call 916-631-8071

The comments in this forum do not represent official advice from Metalcloak. 
Users of Metalcloak products follow the advice of others at their own risk.

Jeremy
Reply with quote  #2 

Unless you're a professional installer, (which I'm not) you'll probably wind up with one or more of the 17 Rivnuts not quite lining up with the precut holes in the exoskins.  It happens.  It's tough to drill all those holes exactly dead center.  I've got a couple of tips though that will make your life a tad easier.

1.  Rather than just use any old center punch to dimple the sheet metal - invest in a set of "Transfer Punches".  You can find them at Harbor Freight and if you use one of their 20% off coupons that are literally EVERYWHERE, you can pick them up for under $10.  I'm not a big fan of cheap Chinese tools either, but we're not talking rocket science here.  These will work just fine.  The idea here is that these punches are sized and you can select one that will fill the hole and allow you to put the dimple a heck of a lot closer to dead center than you can by eyeballing it. 
image_18450.jpg 

2.  Ok, so you've still got one or two bolts that you can't get to line up with your newly installed rivnuts.  Don't sweat it.  It's not the end of the world.  Most of us have a Dremel tool or some variant thereof.  Use a little grinding stone like the one below and "adjust" the size of the hole a tad in order to get it to line up.  Careful not to just shove it clear back into the hole (you don't want to grind on your rivnut).  You want to just grind in the hole in the direction you need to make the bolt go in square.  Hopefully, you're not THAT far off and the bolt head will cover your enlarged hole.
Dremel Grinding Stone Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stones, Grinding and Sharpen_ (EN) r19845v15.jpg 

I hope this makes your install go a little easier.

Jeremy

Scott
Reply with quote  #3 
The transfer punches were a god send.  It's important to get the holes drilled as closely as possible to dead center and the transfer punches do a great job.  They will save you hours of grinding out holes to make things line up. 

Thanks Jeremy

I've also noted that in the pictures of different instructions they are using transfer punches but do not say that in the instructions.
Rick
Reply with quote  #4 
My friend and I installed these today and I would like to note a few things:

1. This will not take an hour to install. More like 4-5 hours.

2. You will be drilling though 2-3 layers of metal with tiny gaps between each layer. This is important to be aware of because when drilling, you must drill through the 2 or 3 layers before stepping up becauseif you step up the outer hole, before the inner hole is drilled, you risk having the inner holes not being centered.

THIS HAPPENED TO US. DO NOT STOP DRILLING UNTIL YOU ARE THROUGH ALL LAYERS REQUIRED.

3. Do NOT try to drill the holes without being perfectly centered. In the end, things won’t line up.

THIS HAPPENED TO US. Our start was not centered and that resulted in misalignment.

4. BUY a Rivet Nut tool. The tool that is included won’t work once you encounter locations where there are multiple layers.

5. This installation is rough. We now need to elongate the holes in the armor to get the bolts threaded. I do NOT agree with the use by Metal Cloak of such large diameter rivet nuts. The degree of difficulty is increased and the margin of error is reduced. In my opinion this installation is not easy.

Rick
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
My friend and I installed these today and I would like to note a few things:

1. This will not take an hour to install. More like 4-5 hours.

2. You will be drilling though 2-3 layers of metal with tiny gaps between each layer. This is important to be aware of because when drilling, you must drill through the 2 or 3 layers before stepping up because if you step up the outer hole, before the inner hole is drilled, you risk having the inner holes not being centered or elongated.

THIS HAPPENED TO US. DO NOT STOP DRILLING UNTIL YOU ARE THROUGH ALL LAYERS REQUIRED.

3. Do NOT try to drill the holes without being perfectly centered. In the end, things won’t line up.

THIS HAPPENED TO US. Our start was not centered and that resulted in misalignment.

4. BUY a Rivet Nut tool. The tool that is included won’t work once you encounter locations where there are multiple layers.

5. This installation is rough. We now need to elongate the holes in the armor to get the bolts threaded. I do NOT agree with the use by Metal Cloak of such large diameter rivet nuts. The degree of difficulty is increased and the margin of error is reduced. In my opinion this installation is not easy.

Tony
Reply with quote  #6 
I laughed at the comment on the installation time taking more like 4 or 5 hours.  I feel like I'm pretty handy but it always takes me way longer than the quoted time.  Perhaps I'm more of a perfectionist.  Also, if I did it a second time it would definitely go much quicker.

I do have one suggestion when drilling for the rivnuts.  I had a problem near the front of the Rocker Panel because of the multiple layers of sheet metal to go through.  I knew to drill through all of them but my problem was getting through the second layer that was at an angle to the outer body that started my drill moving sideways and before I knew it I had 'ovaled' out the hole (to large for the rivnut in one direction). To fix it I ended up using a grinder as a previous person suggested to open up the second layer, after drilling the first layer large enough to the the grinder bit into the hole, so that it wasn't fighting my drill getting through without drifting.  
For the one I had already screwed up (I had opened up the hole too large in one direction) I put the Rocker Panel back up and carefully marked the outer body to get the rivnut in the correct location, I next ground the hole in the outer body to fit the rivnut.  It actually ended up way too large on one side (the hole actually extended past the area of the compressed rivnut) but luckily the rivnut caught enough of the sheet metal to hold it in place when compressed.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.