Metalcloak Instruction Downloads & Support - Just Choose Your Rig Below
Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
MetalCloak
Reply with quote  #1 
Please click the link below to view instructions (.pdf) referenced in the title of this thread.

Please assist us in our commitment to continuously improve our installation instructions. If you think information is missing, have advice to share with others, or have clearer pictures/illustrations please post them to this thread. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Only One Rule...Please Be Cool.

If you notice a post that has been deleted, we likely implemented the idea into our published instructions.

Questions about your installation?
Please email [email protected] or call 916-631-8071

The comments in this forum do not represent official advice from Metalcloak. 
Users of Metalcloak products follow the advice of others at their own risk.

Jim Morris
Reply with quote  #2 

I installed this today and I wanted to suggest some changes to the directions. The first thing was the bolt on the gas skid by the passenger tire. It was to long. I added a lock washer and a extra flat washer on the outside to fix this. Second thing: do not reuse the 18mm bolts at the new cross member on the gas tank skid. You use the counter sunk 1/2" stainless bolts for this (directions are misleading and a call to MC was misleading). Third: The mounts to the engine mount. Use the front hole, not the rear hole, and it doesn't show which bracket mount goes where. Look at the skid plate sides and you will be able to figure this out. Also put the bolts through the engine mount and put the nut on the bottom.

Hope this helps! 

Fred J.
Reply with quote  #3 
Everything that Jim says above applies but I want to add to the install. If you are buying this system I assume your Jeep has a few different modifications like mine. If you lifted your Jeep and modified your exhaust to clear the front driveline boot to keep it from melting you will have to modify again. Most people modify cause it is cheaper than getting new after market driveline. Well plan on buying this drive line before you add the Undercloak. If I was to put the exhaust back up I would have original clearance issues with front driveline. So I ordered a new front driveline and issue was resolved along with putting back to stock exhaust height.

Even after these small issues I would buy this system again and twice on Tuesday. It fits and looks great.
Jen
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred J.
Everything that Jim says above applies but I want to add to the install. If you are buying this system I assume your Jeep has a few different modifications like mine. If you lifted your Jeep and modified your exhaust to clear the front driveline boot to keep it from melting you will have to modify again. Most people modify cause it is cheaper than getting new after market driveline. Well plan on buying this drive line before you add the Undercloak. If I was to put the exhaust back up I would have original clearance issues with front driveline. So I ordered a new front driveline and issue was resolved along with putting back to stock exhaust height.

Even after these small issues I would buy this system again and twice on Tuesday. It fits and looks great.


I have not lifted mine yet, but will.  We stopped after getting the new cross-member and gas tank skid in.  That was enough of a chore for today.
Are you saying that the exhaust spacer will not work with the skid in this set?  That if you lift you must replace the drive shaft instead of using an exhaust spacer for it to all work together?
Kristoffer
Reply with quote  #5 
1) does the gas tank skid replace the factory skid or go over it?
2) can someone from MetalCloak confirm if this skid system will or won't work with the exhaust spacers commonly used on 2012+ models?

thanks!
ryan
Reply with quote  #6 
I a trying to install the transmission skid and maybe I'm confused, the passenger side farther aft tab that you use your factory 18mm bolt through is it really supposed to feed through that welded rectangle tube or over it? Dumb question just fighting with it in the driveway. Thanks for any help!
ryan
Reply with quote  #7 
I'm an idiot, helps if you measure......
E.J.
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer
1) does the gas tank skid replace the factory skid or go over it?
2) can someone from MetalCloak confirm if this skid system will or won't work with the exhaust spacers commonly used on 2012+ models?

thanks!


I just finished installing my skids on my 2012 with Metalcloak exhaust spacers and there was no fitment issues at all. And it goes over the factory fuel tank skid.
Tony
Reply with quote  #9 
two points:
1. I had to remove the exhaust spacer that I added thinking that I needed them to not have exhaust interference with the drive shaft boot.  I thought that I still needed the spacers with aftermarket drive shafts (Tom Woods) but I did not need the spacers with the aftermarket drive shafts.
2. I installed these on my garage floor by myself and one thing that helped immensely was to balance each skid plate on my floor jack (nicely mine has a rubber pad so the skids did not slide around on the jack).  I could easily maneuver each plate into place and use the jack to raise it to it's final spot that allowed me to mark holes for drilling as well as getting bolts started and snugged down.
Chris
Reply with quote  #10 
I just replaced the crossmember so far which fit like a glove.  It would be really helpful if you listed the torque specs in the instructions.  For reference, the crossmember bolts and transmission mount bolts should be torqued to 50 ft lbs.

Thanks,
Chris

Matt
Reply with quote  #11 
Instructions say to use included tool to insert recessed nuts.   I don’t see any tool with mine.   am I supposed to just bang it in with a hammer or what?   
Craig
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Instructions say to use included tool to insert recessed nuts.   I don’t see any tool with mine.   am I supposed to just bang it in with a hammer or what?   
You should probably get some help.
Matt
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
You should probably get some help.


Thanks, Craig. That’s what I was asking for. Fortunately, one of the helpful Metalcloak folks got in touch with me and pointed out that the bolt and nut in a bag by themselves are the “tool” and how to use them to cinch up the nutsert. Easy peasy once you see how it goes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.