Metalcloak Instruction Downloads & Support - Just Choose Your Rig Below
Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MetalCloak
Reply with quote  #1 
Please click the link below to view instructions (.pdf) referenced in the title of this thread.

Please assist us in our commitment to continuously improve our installation instructions. If you think information is missing, have advice to share with others, or have clearer pictures/illustrations please post them to this thread. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

Only One Rule...Please Be Cool.

If you notice a post that has been deleted, we likely implemented the idea into our published instructions.

Questions about your installation?
Please email TechHelp@Metalcloak.com or call 916-631-8071

The comments in this forum do not represent official advice from Metalcloak.
Users of Metalcloak products follow the advice of others at their own risk.

Jack
Reply with quote  #2 

The Rotopax mount installation is very straight forward and the provided instructions have all the details that you would possibly need. 

There is one aspect of this mount that created some questions of my own and may serve as a consideration for potential buyers. In reference to the dimensions of the mount, it limits the size/quantity of Rotopax containers that you can use. 

In Picture 1, I have a 2 Gallon Gen 2 Rotopax mounted. This works fine and fits perfectly. However, in Picture 2 you can see how close the Rotopax container is to the base of the mount. This is the most limiting aspect of the mount. Because the 2 gallon Gen 2 Rotopax container’s length is 13.5 inches (Picture 3), it serves as a bench mark to qualify any other container for fitment. Any container that exceeds 13.5 inches in length would not fit on the mount. 

Looking at other Rotopax, Fuelpax, Snopax, and Emergency/Storage container dimensions on their website, I found that the only container sizes that will fit are the 2 Gallon Gen 2, 2 Gallon, 1.75 Gallon, and the 1 Gallon containers.

What about stacking a 2 Gallon with a 1 or 1.75 Gallon? The width of the containers becomes the next problem. Almost all of their containers are at least 3 inches in width. In Picture 4 you can see how much allowable space is left after mounting a 2 Gallon Gen 2 container (approximately 2 inches). This would not allow you to stack two containers together because the handle would hit the passenger side tail light when the gate is fully open. 

I believe that the engineers at Metal Cloak probably considered this and that’s why they designed it this way. Following some logic, if I were to place a full 2 Gallon Rotopax container on the mount it would add approximately 14.175 lbs to the mount*. Which might be the safest amount of weight that the mount can hold considering road/trail vibrations, etc. 

It’s definitely possible that you could drill an additional hole to move your Rotopax mount more outboard and be able to squeeze in a larger sized container but I would question the structural integrity of the mount after doing so (Picture 5).

*The Gen 2 Rotopax container is listed on their website as a 2 Gallon container but is actually a 2.25 gallon container (Picture 6). The average weight of 1 gallon of gasoline is 6.3 lbs according to the all-knowing internet.  

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 1.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 1.85 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 2.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 1.63 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 3.jpg, Views: 6, Size: 16.63 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 4.jpg, Views: 7, Size: 1.95 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 5.jpg, Views: 6, Size: 1.93 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 6.jpg, Views: 6, Size: 2.54 MB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.